Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Thursday, September 24, 2009
- Bath Towels
- Fleece Blankets
- Canister Set
- Soup Mug
- Rescue Heroes Robot
- 2 grocery bags full of Rescue Heroes (& stuff) [to my little buddy Monei]
- 3 stacks of old computer magazines, recycling @curb (more to come)
- Old SCSI CD-ROM drive (don't ask).
Time marches on...Oh well, there's always this year :)
Saturday, September 19, 2009
When our houses or offices get piled with clutter, much of the reason is procrastination. We all procrastinate — let’s just get that out in the open. There’s not a one of us who doesn’t, to some degree.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Thursday, September 17, 2009
- 2 garbage bags of clothes, gone to charity
- 2 grocery bags full of school supplies, gone to charity
- 50 or so old DC6150 computer tape backups, 10-15 years old. [tar -xvf ] :) (interesting that these tapes fill a plastic milk crate, but the contents of them all combined will fit on the tiny memory card in my Blackberry).
- Set of 4 Cordless Phones, VTech junk, less than a year old, warranty ??
- 2 Canon Ink-jet Printers, recycle / garbage.
- Old P3 700mhz computer (2001), recycle / garbage.
- another old P3 computer/tower, recycle / garbage.
- Old DVD Player (2001), recycle / garbage.
- 2 old sleeping bags, garbage
- old wooden chair, headed for the kindling pile.
This is fun :)
UPDATE: We took the cordless phones back to Canadian Tire and they replaced them with a new set. (We got them at Christmas, and even in my clutter, I found the invoice).
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Friday, September 11, 2009
- 1991 Chevy Astro Van (gave it to a friend last night)
- Surplus car battery, went with number 1 above (cheating a little, I know)
- Sofa from basement rec-room (old 3-legger, out in today's garbage)
- Drum Set (put out with the garbage, snatched up by someone while I blinked)
- Combination Air-Hockey / Foosball Table (gone in yard sale)
- JobMate Laser Level (yard sale)
- SportRack 3-bike carrier (yard sale)
- Large Suitcase (yard sale)
- New (extra) circular saw blades (yard sale)
- Carload of clothes, skates etc that did not sell in yard sale (to Value Village)
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Like most, I'll need a basis for any real change. I'd like to base it all on the Biblical principle that Godliness with contentment is great gain, but even though I don't consider myself discontent, I do find myself falling short in the Godliness department. Nonetheless, like many others, I must press on. Environmental footprints aside, like Valdy I covet the Simple Life. however, my gadget lust tends to be at war with my desire to simplify and declutter. I read an interesting article recently on the staggering amount of rented storage space that exists. Read up on it here. It's amazing the amount of money that is being spent monthly to store paperback books, furniture etc.
Also, a good article below about down-sizing your household...
When Home Shrinks - NYTimes.com
All interesting stuff, but I need not wait for the next bestseller or guru in order to learn the truth. Jesus revealed the importance of this when he said "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." Why did he say "all kinds of greed"? Likely because there indeed ARE "all kinds" of greed; even that kind that comes disguised as "I'm just providing for my family". So, back to my original question; How much is enough? Here's my answer: 500 square feet per person ought to be plenty. of space. That should include your share of everything, maybe except storage space. On that note, I MUST begin to declutter...perhaps I'll record my progress here. How 'bout you?
As I plan on exiting my current employment situation somewhere around mid to late 2019, I have launched what I jokingly refer to as “Operat...
I didn't hear or realize this, but Paul Parsons, the Nfld Artist that did the infamous Nfld Map that many of "us" grew up with...
It's interesting that I have not written anything here yet this year, not even a Happy New Year. I must be busy. During this season, I ...
Another off-grid power component of course is the battery. There's not much point in generating electricity with solar panels unless yo...